The parents and child/children form the basis of a happy family. Unfortunately, happiness may be lost as each member struggles in different ways. A young child may find respite and solace in the arms of the mother. A father’s guidance is equally helpful. Sadly, the teenage is a period when the hormones kick in. There are many bodily and emotional changes to confront. Close relationships with parents are broken a good many times too. There may be instances of criminal acts or simple flouting of the laws. Alcoholism, traffic offenses, and teenage pregnancy are rampant in America today. It is thus important for a troubled teenager to join a group that provides the right teen support services.
The parents are often the last persons to realize that there is a problem with the teenage son or daughter. However, accepting it is the first step towards a successful resolution of all problems. The next and all-important issue is to get the concerned individual to accept help. Some of the tried and tested tricks to have the teenager visit a professional for support include the following methods:-
- Communication– Talking matters out helps! You as a parent should be able to speak about the problems that bother your children who have entered their teens. Remember that most of them would be reluctant to admit that they have a problem as they consider it to be a failure on their part. It is your responsibility to communicate with them without being angry. The reasoning is almost always sure to yield results. Speak with them by highlighting their strengths and informing them that a little help can go a long way in achieving success. You will be surprised to find that such an approach works like magic.
- Highlights– Furthermore, make it clear to them the necessity of the following:-
- Professional guidance can be effective in resolving mental distress and emotional upheaval.
- Emotional turmoil is a reality that can be treated in time
- You, as a parent have his/her best interests at heart. But some experts are equipped with the know-how and the right tools to ensure quick solutions
- Importance of Professional Support – You have to react with caution too. Raised voices and arguments will only make the situation worse. Try the sift approach by stressing that professionals have years of experience behind them and would know how to get them out of misery. Insist that the feeling of hopelessness is only a passing phase. You may throw in a few instances of how a professional could turn things around.
- Time– Most teenagers regard counseling as a waste of time. You have to be extremely patient with them at this stage. Point out that avoiding the problem will only make it worse. The time invested in anxiety and depression is the real waste here. Ask them to meet with the counselor at least once and then hope for the best.
The availability of teen support services is more common than you think. You may also be able to obtain help by discussing the matter with the school psychologist and then requesting additional assistance.